The World Health Organization (WHO) basing their decision upon expert’s data reviews, announced on June 3 the continuation of the use of the clinical trial of malaria drug hydroxychloroquine on COVID-19 patients, which was paused last week because of safety issues.
WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that experts recommended that “there are no reasons to modify the trial protocol”. He said, “The Executive Group received this recommendation and endorsed continuation of all arms of the Solidarity Trial, including hydroxychloroquine.”
The WHO paused the trial of hydroxychloroquine amid concerns over its safety over the use of it on COVID-19 patients. The trials were paused by the WHO on May 25.
Dr. Tedros added, “The Data Safety and Monitoring Committee will continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in the Solidarity Trial.”
The Solidarity Trial is a WHO-sponsored plan to evaluate the safety and efficacy of four drugs and drug combinations against COVID-19, hydroxychloroquine is one among them.