New Ebola case in DR Congo amidst speculation of WHO declaring the end of the outbreak

With hope again taking a back seat, a new case of the Ebola virus has been confirmed in eastern Congo on April 10. The new case was confirmed in Beni. The Beni community has been an epicentre of the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak in history.

The case has been confirmed just three days before the World Health Organization was expected to declare the country Ebola free.

It had been nearly 42 days without a case, and the WHO Chief Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Congo’s declaration had been planned for April 13. “We have been preparing for and expecting more cases,” he said.

Mike Ryan, the Emergencies Chief for the WHO said, “We’ll just have to go for another 42 days”, or the required period of time without a case for the Ebola outbreak to be declared over.

The Ebola outbreak has claimed more than 2,260 lives- second to the 2014-2016 outbreak in West Africa.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.