The families in Nigeria are waiting anxiously for the safe return of 300 kidnapped schoolgirls. More than 300 schoolgirls were kidnapped by gunmen from a government school in the country’s north last week.
A suspected criminal gang attacked the Government Girls Science Secondary School in Jangebe, a village in Zamfara state, around 1 am on Friday, police and a local official said.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said the government’s priority is to get all the hostages returned safe and unharmed. Police and the military have begun joint operations to rescue the girls, said Mohammed Shehu, a police spokesman in Zamfara state.