DPRK loosens grip on COVID-19 lockdown in Kaesong city

The State media, KCNA reported on August 14, that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has lifted a three-week lockdown in the city of Kaesong and nearby areas. The lockdown was imposed after a man who fled to the South returned to the border town last month showing coronavirus symptoms. 

The KCNA reported that the decision has been announced by the DPRK’s Supreme leader Kim Jong Un on August 13. The announcement was made during a politburo meeting of the Workers’ Party to discuss measures to recover from the flood, stressing the importance of not letting up on COVID-19 prevention efforts. 

During the meeting, Kim Jong Un also appointed Kim Tok Hun as the new Premier of the DPRK replacing Kim Jae Ryong. Prior to the appointment, Kim Tok Hun, served as the Parliamentary Budget Committee Chief. 

By far, North Korea has not confirmed a single case of COVID-19. In an official statement, Kim said, coronavirus prevention measures had stabilized the risk in the area.  

“The situation, in which the spread of the worldwide malignant virus has become worse, requires us not to allow any outside aid for the flood damage but shut the border tighter and carry out strict anti-epidemic work,” Kim said. 

The KCNA reported that the monsoon season caused extensive damage in several provinces, with farmlands inundated with floodwaters, around 16,680 houses and 630 public buildings destroyed or flooded, and many roads, bridges and railroads damaged. 

Photo Credit : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kim_Jong-un_2019_(cropped).jpg

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.