Congolese Nobel Peace Prize winner Denis Mukwege quits as head of COVID-19 taskforce

Citing organizational problems, outpaced strategy and slow testing, Congolese Nobel Peace Prize winner Denis Mukwege on Wednesday, June 10, said that he had resigned as the head of a taskforce set up for dealing with the Coronavirus situation in an eastern Democratic Republic of Congo province.

“There had been weaknesses in organisation and clarity between the various teams in charge of the response to the pandemic in South Kivu,” he had said in a statement. “I have decided to resign… in order to devote myself entirely to my medical duties and to treat the influx of patients at Panzi hospital,” he further added.

The 65-year-old gynaecologist who was awarded the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize alongside Nadia Murad for “their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict” was appointed as the head of the taskforce on March 30 to lead a committee in South Kivu province.

Photo Credit : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Denis_Mukwege_2018.jpg

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.